Beta 4 Release Notes¶
- New app: Mediagoblin, the GNU Project’s photo and media sharing application, is now available on UBOS for single-command installation and management (more about Mediagoblin)
- New app: Webtrees, a full-featured web genealogy application, is now available on UBOS for single-command installation and management (more about Webtrees)
- Major: Applications on UBOS can now use the Postgresql database as an alternative to MySQL (more about Postgresql)
- MySQL is not required any more for UBOS, and instead demand-installed like Postgresql or applications.
- UBOS now automatically generates an SSH key pair on a suitable flash drive (the “UBOS staff”) during boot that enables password-less, secure SSH login to the UBOS device over the network, with minimal hassle for the user (the “UBOS shepherd”). Read more about the UBOS staff.
- Eliminate long initial boot times by activating pre-installed haveged. Simply run systemctl enable haveged.
- Automatic system reboot if an upgrade advises that. The single-command full-stack upgrade ubos-admin update now uses a heuristic whether a reboot is necessary (e.g. if the Linux kernel was updated). Options exist to override this heuristic (ubos-admin issue 83, ubos-admin issue 43)
- Better progress messages during long operations, e.g. generating the TLS keys for https websites (ubos-admin issue 61)
- New command ubos-admin status is beginning to report on the device status. Currently it only reports on manually modified configuration files, but over time, it have more to say.
- Applications can now specify that they need systemd services or timers. UBOS will activate/enable and deactivate/disable the corresponding services or timers when the application is deployed and undeployed. Mediagoblin already uses this for running background processing tasks.
- Jenkins: upgraded to 1.596.2
- Known: upgraded to 0.7.5
- ownCloud: upgraded to 8.0.2
- Wordpress: upgraded to 4.1.1
- The AppConfigItem type mysql-database has been renamed database, and can also be applied to databases other than MySQL.
- The Selfoss RSS Aggregator app can now be run at a self-signed TLS site (ubos-selfoss issue 2)
- Mediawiki can now be run correctly at a self-signed TLS site (ubos-mediawiki issue 6)
- Mediawiki image upload fixed (ubos-mediawiki issue 5)
- Mediawiki warnings removed (ubos-mediawiki issue 3)
- Java apps can now be run at wildcard sites (ubos-toyapps issue 4)
- BeagleBone Black now uses btrfs, like the other UBOS platforms (ubos-admin issue 71)
- Undeploy also removes TLS certs (ubos-admin issue 70)
- Shepherd can now issue shutdown and reboot commands (ubos-admin issue 66)
- Non-TLS site accessed via https redirects back to http (ubos-admin issue 65)
- Better error detection for invalid Site JSON files (ubos-admin issue 64, ubos-admin issue 63)
- Console banner shows UBOS device class (ubos-admin issue 59)
- Can create site JSON files with ubos-admin createsite even if they would conflict with an existing site, as long as they are not deployed (ubos-admin issue 56)
- Keeping site JSON clean (ubos-admin issue 53)
- Removed unnecessary console output (ubos-admin issue 54)
- Shrank size of UBOS images by not shipping pacman files in /var/cache (ubos-admin issue 52)
- fakeroot, wpa_supplicant, postgresql, vim, ntop, iproute2, screen, lsof, arp-scan and others.
Quality assurance and testing¶
- UBOS automated testing now tests a larger state machine of redeploys of an application: deploy app to named host, redeploy, to the same named host, redeploy to a wildcard host and back to the named host (ubos-tools issue 7)
- UBOS automated testing now tests the generation of “well-known” files such as robots.txt.
- Test harness now knows how to wait until a Tomcat application running behind an Apache reverse proxy is available (ubos-toyapps issue 2)
Last updated: 2015-04-13 11:30 PST with small formatting edits 2016-08-15 17:30 PST.