Beta 8 Release Notes¶
This release mostly contains incremental improvements and bug fixes.
- App upgrades:
- Nextcloud 9.0.52
- New features:
- ubos-admin createsite can now be used to configure more than one app at the same site. So for example, if you would like to run Wordpress at example.com/blog and Nextcloud at example.com/files, you can do this easily now with ubos-admin createsite.
- When restoring from backup, an alternate app can be specified. For example, given the recent fork of ownCloud into NextCloud, this allows users to easily migrate from ownCloud to Nextcloud on UBOS. Simply create a UBOS backup, undeploy your ownCloud site, and restore the backup with the extra flag --migratefrom owncloud --migrateto nextcloud. Voila, your data will be restore into Nextcloud, which will run at the same host and with the same path as ownCloud used to. This new UBOS feature has been implemented as a generic mechanism and is not specific to ownCloud or Nextcloud.
- The beginnings of IP version 6 support. So far, almost all of it is blocked in the firewall, however.
- ubos-install now also knows how to set up swap partitions.
- ubos-admin status now also reports on when the device was last updated.
- All ubos-admin administration command invocations are now logged in the system journal. That helps with analyzing “how the heck did I get the system into this state?”
- Site administrator passwords may now contain spaces.
- When a reboot is necessary as part of a system upgrade, UBOS now correctly restores the apps and their configurations.
- On Raspberry Pi, the obsoleted kernel module was removed that kept Pis from booting cleanly in the previous beta.
- sudo ubos-install can now be run directly by the UBOS shepherd.
- The missing Nextcloud icons have been added.
- Rasptimer now works again with PHP7 on the Raspberry Pi.
- Mediawiki installation had several issues in the last beta. It should work fine again.
- New packages now available on UBOS:
- arp-scan for those users who like to now what’s going on their network.
- openvpn: allows the creating or use of virtual private networks on UBOS. So far, manual setup is required.
- Deprecated for the time being:
- New features:
- webapptest now can run on Arch Linux development machines and does not require UBOS to run.
- The gladiwashere example toy app now has a (trivial) plug-in mechanism, and there’s a simple plugin (gladiwashere-footer) for it. This helps explain how apps and accessories on UBOS work together to deliver customized experiences to users.
- New packages:
- Apache mod_xsendfile for optimized file downloads to web clients.
- nodejs: first steps to allow Node-based apps on UBOS.
- ruby-mysql: MySQL driver for Ruby apps.
- Documentation for the names field in the UBOS manifest has been added here.
Want to help?¶
Would you like to help out? Some issues on Github are now marked as “starter issues”, i.e. bug or requested extensions to UBOS that are likely easier to implement than others.
This is a great idea inspired by up-for-grabs.net.
All you need to do, as usual, is:
% sudo ubos-admin update
- The BeagleBone Black boot process may not work correctly in all configurations. We are currently reconsidering support for this device, as there have been far fewer downloads for it than for other devices.
- On Amazon EC2 instances, UBOS may boot into the “degraded” state because systemd service cloud-final failed during boot. This is a cosmetic issue only. To fix, log on and execute sudo systemctl restart cloud-final.
Other than that, nothing should get in your way. If you encounter something that does, file a bug on GitHub.