Beta 2 Release Notes¶
- UBOS has an installer now: ubos-install can install UBOS in a single command on a new system. It defaults to a suitable partitioning scheme for the type of device it is run on. It can also easily install in a RAID1 configuration on two or more drives, for better data protection.
- One-command setup of secure web sites using TLS. When invoking ubos-admin createsite with arguments --tls --selfsigned, UBOS will generate and install a self-signed certificate automatically; alternatively the user can provide keys and certificates from an official certificate authority.
- Hosts running UBOS now advertise themselves on the local network using mDNS/zeroconf. This solves the problem of “but what IP address does my box have”? Look for ubos-pc.local, ubos-raspberry-pi.local on your local network.
- All apps that have newer versions have been upgraded, including:
- Mediawiki 1.23.x -> 1.24
- Jenkins 1.580.1 -> 1.580.3
- Known 0.6.4 -> 0.7.1
- Wordpress 4.0 -> 4.1
- ownCloud 7.0.x -> 8.0.0. Also comes with automatic invocation of their data migration tool upon upgrades.
- Lots of more pre-release tests, including a suite of workouts, more tests for the apps, and more test plans including tests for the correct generation of things such as robots.txt.
- Apps can now contribute fragments to a site-wide robots.txt file. This allows each app at a site to exclude those URLs from search engine indexing that are within their domain.
- Wildcard sites – sites that respond to any incoming virtual host name – have been improved substantially.
- TLS key material can now be excluded from backups.
- Size of the system journal now limited.
- UBOS now uses btrfs as its default file system.
- User can now run some ubos-admin subcommands without needing to be root.
- Better error and warning messages.
- On the Raspberry Pi, wiring-pi is now available for easy communications with the Raspberry Pi’s GPIO pins.
- snapper: takes periodic snapshots of the file system. Must be activated manually at this time. (systemctl start snapper)
- smartmontools: tools for hard drive health monitoring. Must be activated manually at this time.
- Php archive (phar) support
- and some others.
Bug fixes from beta 1¶
- Invoking ubos-admin more than once simultaneously is now being prevented.
- ubos-admin now advises the user to wait if the system isn’t fully running yet. This is particularly useful right after the first boot when UBOS is still busy generating various cryptographic keys.
- The grub bootloader now reports UBOS, not Arch.
- Credentials for site administrators can now include special characters.
- Directories restored from backup now have correct permissions. Permissions for files and directories can be set separately right in the manifest.
- Confidential aspects of Site JSON files are only accessible by root.
- ubos-admin enforces fixed paths for those apps that required it (e.g. Known)
- Fixed errors during upgrade of Java-based apps
- Fixed Database permission errors when restoring selfoss data from backup
There’s a new example app for how to run a Java webapp under Tomcat, with an Apache reverse proxy in front so users don’t have to use a different port number. (It’s real easy!) This example app is called gladiwashere-java and is a direct port of the equivalent php example app gladiwashere.
ubos-admin update now can limits its updates to a list of local packages. This is very convenient for the developer of a package.
webapptest using the VirtualBox scaffold can now run against a local UBOS repo and does not need to run against depot.ubos.net. This saves time and bandwidth.
webapptest has become more versatile through additional command-line options, e.g. the hostname and context path at which to deploy the app.
- webapptest can now run multiple test plans during the same invocation. There are also
more test plans.
- There is still no command that can show which apps and accessories are available for install. For now, refer to the UBOS Beta 2 is here blog post.
- Some sections in the documentation are still placeholders.
- On VirtualBox, cloud-init produces many messages (including apparent errors and warnings) on the console. These are harmless, but annoying. See https://github.com/uboslinux/ubos-admin/issues/22.
- Wildcard sites incorrectly redirect to https when TLS is used, see bug report.
Last updated: 2015-02-09 16:30 PST