Learning from the toy apps¶
- “Hello World” is an extremely simple Web applications that just displays Hello World when accessed over the web. We use it to give you a taste for what is involved to package web application for UBOS.
- “Glad-I-Was-Here” is a slightly more complex “guestbook” web application that uses a
relational database to store the guestbook entries. We use it to illustrate how to package
web Apps that use a database. It now comes in four versions:
- implemented in PHP with a MySQL backend, called gladiwashere-php-mysql;
- implemented in PHP with a Postgresql backend, called gladiwashere-php-postgresql;
- implemented in Java with a MySQL backend, called gladiwashere-java-mysql; and
- implemented in Python/WSGI with a MySQL backend, called gladiwashere-python-mysql
The PHP versions of Glad-I-Was-Here can also be configured with an Accessory called gladiwashere-php-footer. This Accessory adds additional content (a footer) to the main web page. This demonstrates the basic functioning of Accessories.
To understand how to package a Ruby-on-Rails application, we have used the “blog” example application used to teach RoR on the rubyonrails.org website, and packaged it for UBOS.
You may want to read through the documentation for these Apps in this sequence: